How to Setup Conky-A System Monitoring Tool for Ubuntu Part-1
It all started with torsmo,a tool that monitors system variables.Torsmo is no longer maintained,which led to the creation of its fork called conky.Conky checks various system variables and plots graph based on the values.Conky is efficient and fast as it draws directly in the X window system.Conky is easily customisable and flexible.It is customisable as we can extend its functionality using the LUA programming language.Lets start with installing conky in ubuntu.
Start Ubuntu Software Center,type conky in the search bar and click the install button.Those of you who like the terminal can type this,
sudo apt-get install conky
Open terminal and type
The above snapshot shows an instance of conky
Various statistics are defaulted to be displayed in conky.As you can see conky also displays the music that is played currently.Let us discuss about positioning in this review.At this point,it is important to mention about conky's configuration file ~/.conkyrc
And scroll down to the heading
#Size and Position
# Size and position minimum_size 50 50 gap_x 0 gap_y 35 alignment top_middle
- gap specifies the space between the text and the screen border.gap_x is used for the x coordinate and gap_y is used for the y coordinate.
- alignment is used to position the conky in a specific spot on the screen.Various values include top_right,top_left,top_middle, bottom_right,bottom_left and bottom_middle,middle_middle positions conky in the middle of the screen.
the above screenshot shows conky in the middle of the screen.
- minimum_size is used to alter the size of conky.Although it didnot have much effect when I changed the values but it is worth knowing.
In the upcoming articles let us learn more about LUA and integrating python scripts for weather conditions and other necessary statistics.
WHY USE CONKY???
- Conky replaces screenlets and other widgets which hogs the valuable memory resource.
- Conky is a simple and lightweight tool.Altering few parameters can let you tweak it the way you like.
- To show off your desktop to your friends.To hear them say that you are a "Geek".
NOTE:Conky is still buggy be careful while trying it in production systems!!Do not add conky to startup applications,as I tried it in my system,it led to disruptive result with the conky statistics overlapping on all the application window opened later.
Lets just say,I love programming and like my Linux box.Trying out new stuff everyday in Linux gave me great insight into computers.Computer researcher and a humble boy.You can follow me in twitter @msambenny