Install Miro latest version in Ubuntu in two easy steps.
Miro previously called Democracy player is a cross platform internet television application developed by Participatory Culture Foundation. The latest release is Miro 2.5.3 and it comes packed with a lot of goodies. It's alternatives include Boxee and also XBMC which do really perform as good as Miro. You can install Miro directly from synaptic, but you won't get the latest version. Here is what you need to do.
- Miro 2.5.3 loads 2-4 times faster.
- New and improved interface for audio playback.
- Download from youtube button.
- Intelligent handling of bit torrent files.
- A number of improvements and bug fixes.
- Complete list of changes with this all new Miro 2.5.3 here.
- Now lets get started with installation of Miro 2.5.3 in Ubuntu.
Add New Miro Repo
- Now Goto System > Administration > Software Sources and select Third-Party Software tab and click ADD. And Simply Copy-Paste the following Repo depending on the version of Ubuntu you use.
For Ubuntu Jaunty
For Ubuntu Intrepid
For Ubuntu Hardy
Install Miro 2.5.3 in Ubuntu
- Goto Applications > Accessories > Terminal and copy-paste each line as shown below.
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install miro
- Done. Now on you will be able to obtain the latest releases of Miro in your Ubuntu by simply typing sudo apt-get upgrade in terminal.
Take a look at Miro's contenders
- Get a feel of Boxee, IMHO it is the best among the three.