Eyecandy Themes for Ubuntu - Download via Launchpad PPA Repo and be safe
Eventhough there is a number of good quality themes available for Ubuntu through various sites like gnome-look or deviantart, it is still a difficult job to find full set themes which include gdm themes(login window theme), wallapaper, metacity themes, icon set etc. But there is an option to download it from PPA launchpad repo itself, which is always the safer bet. Special thanks to the Zgegblog guys for contributing these out of the world themes for Ubuntu users.
- Take a look at the previews of some of the themes they have made.
These are previews of some of the themes i liked. There are tens of other themes as well. Choose the one that meets your taste.
Adding GPG Key
- Goto Applications > Accessories > Terminal and simply do
sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 0x1781bd45c4c3275a34bb6aec6e871c4a881574de
Adding Third Party Repo
- You will have to add third party PPA launchpad repo to your synaptic package manager to download these themes.
- To Add the PPA launchpad repo, Goto System->Administration->Software Sources, goto the Third- Party Software tab and Click on ADD.
- Copy and paste the new PPA Launchpad repo address, corresponding to the version of Ubuntu you are using. Given below are the PPA for Ubuntu jaunty, Intrepid and Hardy respectively.
For Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/bisigi/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/bisigi/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
For Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/bisigi/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/bisigi/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main
For Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/bisigi/ppa/ubuntu hardy main deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/bisigi/ppa/ubuntu hardy main
- After adding new repo and authenticating steps, Reload the Synaptic Package Manager.
- To download and install all the themes available, simply mark and install the package zgegblog-themes. All theme packages will be installed by then.
OR simply type the following in terminal.
sudo apt-get install zgegblog-themes
- But if you have bandwidth limitations and dont want to install all the themes, there is a small workaround. This is not probably the ideal thing to do. But it definitely works ;-).
- Goto Synaptic Package Manager and right click on zgegblog-themes and select the properties option.
- In the Dependencies tab, you will have the list of individual themes(packages) available for download. For example, search for infinity-theme in Synaptic. If you know a better way to do this, please share :-)
- Almost all themes are exceptionally good, while wild-shine-theme, balanzan theme and bamboo-zen-theme are definitely the best. It is worth a look. Give it a try.
- Now you may also want to check out this nice collection of 20 GDM themes you probably haven't seen before.
Update: A new darkish theme is included recently and it is aptly named showtime. Just do a sudo apt-get install showtime-theme. This is a must for all who love dark themes(me being one, i especially love the new updated wallpaper)